Who's the Parent?
Listen to audio version
Ephesians 6:1-4 (ESV) Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” 4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
Two Reasons Why Children should Obey
- Learning to Obey prepares your child for their spiritual walk
- Learning disobedience leads to discipline
Proverbs 3:5-6 (ESV) Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
Big Idea: Our children learning to obey is not for self-serving purposes but for eternal purposes.
Proverbs 22:6 (ESV) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is
old he will not depart from it.
Seven Parenting Principles
- Be Consistent
- Do Not Discipline Without Communication
- Lead by Example
- Point Out Positive Behaviors
- Remind Your Children Your Love Can’t be Earned
- Share the Gospel with Your Children
- Pray for Your Children