so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11 (ESV)
Why I love this book!
- Its Reliability
- Inspired By God, Written by Men
How Do We Read This Book for the greatest impact on our lives?
I. Read it as we read other literature… Literally
- A. Reading the Bible Literally Assumes:
- 1. The Bible is truly God’s Word.
- a. This means God’s promises are true. Not one word of all the good promises that the Lord had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass.Joshua 21:45 (ESV)
- b. This means God always tells the truth. …it is impossible for God to lie… Hebrews 6:18 (ESV)
- 2. The people in Genesis to Revelation existed and did what they said they did.
- 3. We are no longer under the Old Testament law.
- 4. Israel and The Church are not one and the same.
- a) 2 Frameworks for interpreting the Bible:
- i) Covenant Theology.
- ii) Dispensational Theology.
- b) CT and DT are not so much a “theology” but frameworks for interpreting Scripture.
- c) DT is the most widely held in American evangelicalism.
- d) CT has been held by the majority of Protestantism since the Reformation
- e) We Agree on the Majors.
- f) We Disagree on the Minors.
II. Read a passage in the Bible in Context
…breathed out by God…II Timothy 3:16 (ESV)
…follow Me and I will make you become fishers of men.Matthew 4:19 (ESV)
III. Read the Old Testament through the lens of the New Testament
if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.2 Chronicles 7:14 (ESV)
IV. Suggestion: At least once, Read the Bible Chronologically
V. Read the Bible Expectantly
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.Hebrews 4:12 (ESV)
Is not my word like fire, declares the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?Jeremiah 23:29 (ESV)
God is ready to speak to you through His Word. Are you ready to listen?