How did we get God’s Word?
16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (ESV)
How can the Bible claim to have been written by humans and also by God?
20 knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. 21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
2 Peter 1:20-21 (ESV)
Is the Bible relevant for today?
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 (ESV)
How can one say the Bible is inerrant (without error)?
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Matthew 5:17-18 (ESV)
How does God Speak to Us? DIRECTLY!
- To Old Testament Believers
- Now Through Jesus Christ
- Now Through the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit speaks to us through:
- His Creation – Romans 1:20
- Through other people such as fellow church goers – Hebrews 10:24
- Through circumstances
- Through supernatural means such as dreams and visions
- Through Prayer
- Through God’s Word
S.O.A.P. Method of studying the Bible
S – Scripture
O – Observation
A – Application
P – Prayer
What assures God will speak to us today?
- Admit your need for Him
- Believe He will speak to you when you come to Him.
- Commit yourself to time with Him to listen to Him speak.
BIG IDEA: “Listen slowly to hear the songs and Words of God.”
- Practice the ABC’s (Admit, Believe, Commit)
- Pick a book or passage of Scripture and do S.O.A.P. – Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer
- Put yourself in a spot where you can LISTEN SLOWLY.