Listen to audio version
Isaiah 9:20-21 (ESV)20 They slice meat on the right, but are still hungry, and they devour on the left, but are not satisfied; each devours the flesh of his own arm, 21 Manasseh devours Ephraim, and Ephraim devours Manasseh; together they are against Judah. For all this his anger has not turned away, and his hand is stretched out still.
Big Idea: God’s Certainty in Our Uncertain Times.
Isaiah 9:1-2 (ESV)1 But there will be no gloom for her who was in anguish. In the former time he brought into contempt the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the latter time he has made glorious the way of the sea, the land beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations. 2 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone.
Isaiah 9:6-7 (ESV)6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.
The Christ Child
- His Rule: “the government shall be upon his shoulder”
- His Titles:
- Wonderful Counselor:
- Mighty God:
- Everlasting Father:
- Prince of Peace
- Will increase forever
- Will have no end
- Will be the promised Messiah through the line of David
- It will be a reign full of justice and righteousness
How can God’s certainty work in our everyday lives?
- Choose to live in God’s Certainty
- Rest in these titles of Jesus: Wonderful Counselor, Might God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
- The best with Jesus is still to come:
- The Zeal of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies will accomplish this.