Listen to audio version
Does knowing about the future matter?
26.8% of the Bible is prophecy
Big Idea: Be on our Guard, Be Ready!
No Stone Left – Mark 13:1-2
And as he came out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, “Look, Teacher, what wonderful stones and what wonderful buildings!” 2 And Jesus said to him, “Do you see these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.” Mark 13:1-2 (ESV)
When Will These Things Happen? -Mark 13:3-8
3 And as he sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately, 4 “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are about to be accomplished?”
Mark 13:3-4 (ESV)
Be On Your Guard – Mark 13:9-13
9 “But be on your guard. For they will deliver you over to councils, and you will be beaten in synagogues, and you will stand before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them. Mark 13:9 (ESV)
The Abomination of Desolation – Mark 13:14-23
14 “But when you see the abomination of desolation standing where he ought not to be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 15 Let the one who is on the housetop not go down, nor enter his house, to take anything out, 16 and let the one who is in the field not turn back to take his cloak..
Mark 13:14-16 (ESV)
27 And he shall make a strong covenant with many for one week and for half of the week he shall put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall come one who makes desolate, until the decreed end is poured out on the desolator.” Daniel 9:24-27 (ESV)
19 For in those days there will be such tribulation as has not been from the beginning of the creation that God created until now, and never will be. 20 And if the Lord had not cut short the days, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect, whom he chose, he shortened the days. Mark 13:19-20 (ESV)
The 2nd Coming – Mark 13:24-30
26 And then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. … 30 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. Mark 13:26-30 (ESV)
No One Knows When – Mark 13:32-37
32 “But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33 Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come… 37 And what I say to you I say to all: Stay awake.” Mark 13:32-36 (ESV)
So, how do we Be on Guard? How can we be ready?
- Trust in Jesus TODAY as your Savior.
- You have a Blessed Hope, so don’t fear, but be ready.
- Live a Jesus 1st Life, so others will be attracted by your readiness.
- Fill up Heaven by being the light of the world, so others will become ready.
- When you hear about the 2nd Coming of Jesus, how do you respond?
- Read Mark 13. Jesus repeatedly tells us to be ready, be on our guard. What does that mean for you?
- As you look at the “warning signs” Jesus gave in Mark 13, they may motivate us to get our “fire insurance” or trust in Jesus as our Savior. Why is trusting in Jesus more than just getting our “fire insurance”?
- Ed shared 4 ways we can “be on guard, be ready.” Which of those is most applicable to you?
- As you study prophecy in the bible, first read it literally and in context. Often the next passage explains the one before.