To Timothy, my true child in the faith… 1 Timothy 1:2 (ESV)
To Timothy, my beloved child… 2 Timothy 2:2 (ESV)
To Titus, my true child in a common faith… Titus 1:4 (ESV)
Only Timothy and Titus received from Paul this special description – “true child in the faith.”
Why Is Affirmation So Needed?
- Healing: There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings Proverbs 12:18 (ESV)
- Renewal and Refreshment: Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body. Proverbs 16:24 (ESV)
- Deeply satisfying to the heart and mind: The words of a whisperer are like delicious morsels; they go down into the inner parts of the body. Proverbs 18:8 (ESV)
We Need to Affirm Others
18 This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 19 holding faith and a good conscience. 1 Timothy 1:18-19a (ESV)
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (ESV)
Hindrances To Our Affirming Others
- If you are out of “gas” physically and emotionally.
- If those you affirm get overly dependent on you.
- If those you affirmed take the affirmation over and try to affirm you instead of receiving it.
- If there has been deep hurt from the one you are seeking to affirm.
- If you think you are inadequate to affirm because of your past.
- If you don’t know how or where to begin to affirm.
Remember, affirmation builds, and you never know the power one affirmation can make.
Challenge: Look for one way you can affirm someone everyday this coming week, beginning today.
A List of Positive Affirmations for Anyone Who’s in Christ:
Pastor Craig Groeschel’s List of Positive Affirmations to Renew Your Mind